Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloweekend



Ah, all hallow's eve. Also known as Halloween or The One Night A Year Girls Can Dress Like Not-So Classy Ladies And Get Away With It. I'm not a huge fan of chicks wearing a bra and panties and some fabric ears, deeming themselves bunnies. I find that the best way to celebrate this secular tradition is either to go all out or, if you don't have the time, go safe or funny. Never go skanky. It's not cute and being a drunken mess clad in a short skirt, glasses and tie because you are a "Naughty Teacher" doesn't scream "treat me like a lady!" My friend Numa, above, went for all-out AND funny. I think he looked absolutely phenomenal as Karl Lagerfeld - he even had cut-off leather gloves and plenty of sparkly rings to boot. I think, more importantly, what really made his costume a hit was the fact that he was in character all evening. I recall someone bumping into him by accident, to which he responded calmly and simply: "That was NOT Chanel". I, on the other hand, decided this year to go for a cute and feminine - but NOT skankoween-y - look: Aphrodite. She is the Goddess of Love and was born when Cronus cut off Ouranos' genitals and threw them into the sea (thanks, Wikipedia). Therefore, not only is she beautiful, but she is also bad-ass. I DIY-ed the toga-look with the help of an old sheet, some gold ribbon and my mother's sewing skillz. They're so good they get a "z". Draped across one shoulder and criss-crossed around the waist with the ribbon, plus more glitter than I've worn since the sixth grade school dances, I thought I was pretty convincing.

In NYC, people are creative and I mean it. I was in the subway with the ENTIRE Sesame Street gang - Bert, Ernie, Cookie Monster (with a box of cookies of course) and Oscar amongst others - and saw about four thousand Michael Jackson reincarnations. I absolutely loved each Kate Gosselin imitation (check out the fastest selling wig this year here) and saw several hot messes clad in Lady Gaga's signature blonde and leather.

Halloween was overall amazing and I was lucky enough to not have been somewhere where the majority of young, respectable, educated and beautiful women are dressed as hookers. My ONLY disappointment was that I didn't see even one Green Man (see him dance here!) from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails