Friday, November 5, 2010

Jean-Michel Basquiat x Musée d'Art Moderne

First, a brief note on the beauty of the museum itself. I mean, I've visited it before, but this time I really noticed some of the funky artchitechture they've got. I regret not taking any pictures of the outside area, where young sk8rs ollied on graffiti-covered concrete. These neon lights were beautiful, hung up behind the ticket counters.
Translates to: "I posess neither the museum of modern art nor the black star" (installation by Pierre Huygue) and "enough with this sureal world" (installation by Claude Lévêque).

Now, onto the dopeness that is Basquiat. One of my all time favorites. I wasn't expecting to visit such an extensive collection! It was wonderful to see so many of his works. It felt like I would walk into one room where there were about a dozen paintings, then a "expo continues this way" sign, then another dozen, then another sign, then more, then more, then more! There were over a hundred paintings, sculptures and drawings from several North American and European galleries exposed in honor of the artists' birthday. The expo was organized so as to recreate the chronological path of Basquiat's life as one of the linchpin artists of the 1980s. It's baffling to think that he died at the young age of 27 and completed such an incredible array of works in such a short time. (Please excuse the surreptitious photography, as I had to pull some sketchy moves to take them).

This last one wasn't taken by me, but was at the show. I was so excited to finally see (in real life) the works from the Basquiat/Warhol collaboration that took place between 1984 and 1987.
DOPE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails